Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Full Manuscript Requested

About two weeks ago I sent a query with a synopsis and the first 3 chapters of Sleeping With the Wolf to an epublisher whose books I have enjoyed in the past. On June 2 I received a nice email saying thanks, they had received it, it had been added to the queue and I should hear something in 4-6 weeks. Cool. So I began playing with some of the other books in the series, writing some scenes, developing some outlines and character sketches and generally taking a little break from Sleeping. It was finished, but I wanted to review the middle for any improvements I could make after I'd had a chance to get away from it. After all, I had at least a month before they would ask for it, if they ever asked for it. I figured there was a good chance they would tell me thanks, but no thanks.

And when I got to work and checked my Maddy email what did I see? An email from the epublisher. Oh, no, I thought. It's been only two weeks, and I'd heard that a quick answer was usually an R, a rejection. So I heaved a sigh and opened the email.

And squealed loud enough for people three aisles over to poke their heads up to see what was up with me. I waved my hands frantically at my buddy Jill and ordered her to get over to my desk tout suite and read this email. She did, and squealed and gave me a hug. We told everyone within earshot that the publisher I had submitted a partial story to had requested the full manuscript. Someone in the third aisle was disappointed to find out that I hadn't won the lottery. But I feel like I did. I know that this is by no means an indication that the publisher will accept and publish my book. But I had been prepared to receive my first R and it was a thrill to see the full manuscript request instead. Not much work got done by yours truly today.

I may well open my email in another couple weeks and find the thanks, but no thanks message. But at least I've gotten this far. Not too shabby for someone who didn't take her writing seriously until a couple months ago. And if it is rejected maybe the publisher will give me some reasons why and suggestions for improving.

That's the news from Maddy-land today. Off to plunge back into Eddie's Prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment